Gobind Garh Fort is one of the historical tourist attraction. It is located in central Amritsar area in Punjab (India). It was under the supervision of Indian Defence Force but is now open for public since 2017. The fort is now designed in the way to show the culture of Punjab and represent the history of Gobindgarh Fort itself and life of Maharaja Ranjit Singh (The Sikh emperor of Punjab).
The fort was actually built by the army of ‘Gujjar Singh Bhangi’ of Sikh regiment. It is made up of bricks & lime and constructed in square layout. Its main gate is named ‘Nalwa Gate’ after the Sikh Army General Hari Singh Nalwa. The fort was then took over & enhanced by Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 19th century. He renamed it after 10th Sikh Guru ‘Guru Gobind Singh’. Mughal invaders used to attack the city for the purpose of loot in 18th century. Maharaja strengthened & expanded the fort to defend these invaders to save ‘Harmandir Sahib’ and city.
M. Ranjit Singh renovated the fort with the help of French Architect. There is a saying that Maharaja kept his treasure in one of the room called ‘Toshakhana’ in fort. All the supplies of army and the famous Koh-i-noor was kept in the ‘Toshakhana’ only. Maharaja established coin minting space in fort only. Cannons (one of the most popular is Zamzama) & Weapons like Artilleries were also created in the fort itself. Raja Dhian Singh had his residence in the fort. He was the minister in Maharaja’s court. Maharaja Ranjit Singh arranged the wedding of his grandson Prince NauNihal Singh in 1837 in this fort only.
Restoration of Fort in 2017
GobindGarh Fort also known with the name of Qila GobindGarh, is restored in 2017 and opened for public with the help of Local officials and Govt. Museums & Exhibitions of Sikh history have been established to make it perfect tourist spot. Some of the attractions you can see at Qila GobindGarh are:
- Sher-e-Punjab 7D Show: A 7D show based on the life of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, history from the past to educate people how Maharaja became Sher-e-Punjab in 19th
- Coin Museum: Toshakhana, which is now a museum kept with old coins. You can see the collection of old and rare coins along with the exact copy of Koh-I-Noor. Koh-I-Noor was worn by Maharaja which was later looted by British.
- Ancient Warfare Museum: The grand bungalow is now converted into Ancient Warfare Museum with some of the replicas of ancient things and instruments.
- Live Cultural Programs: Live performances of Bhangra, Gidhha, Gatka, Dholi, Games etc. on stage makes the time worth for everyone. These performances goes all day long.
- Ambarsari Zaika: Along with other historical spots, tourist can enjoy the time with the choice of Amritsari & Punjabi eateries at Food Shops & Stalls.
- Haat Bazaar: Tourist can purchase some cultural wears like Punjabi Jutti, Shawls, Phulkari & antiques.
- Whispering Walls: This show is held daily in evening. Where you can enjoy the art of laser lights. The show will take your breath away as it has never before been seen.
Gobindgarh Fort Events – Special events for tourists held daily in Fort
The Gonbindgarh fort is not just a fort, it is now a tourist spot with many entertainment events held every evening. The attractive light & sound show will definitely make your time worth. This light & Laser show presents the history of Gobindgarh Fort beautifully. The cultural group performs Punjab’s cultural dance called Bhangra. There are number of museums which shows you some historical weapons, Coins & Pagdis etc. The fun space for kids will surely make your kids go crazy. Enjoy hygenic street food on nominal rates.
The 7D show based on the life of Maharaja Ranjit Singh will throw light on the journey of this Sikh Emporer. Gobindgarh Fort is the best place to spend half of your day with family. You can shop for cultural things & handicrafts from the stores in Fort. Below mentioned are other activities which you can enjoy to make your visit pleasant.
The folk performance from any place represents its look about culture and history. It express the body of culture shared by a particular group of people. Punjab’s rich cultural dance called Bhangra is performed full day. Activities from the powerful Gatka, to the energetic Bhangda and the vibrant Gidda with the beat of Dhol. Guys performing with the wooden stick around the shoulders using a thick cotton belt and played with a pair of sticks, its typical 8 beat pattern the Chaal, creates the heady sound which is perhaps most popular in Punjab.
Camel Ride & Horse Ride are some of the other fun activities. Making clay pot on rotating platform is one of the cultural activity which you can practise here. Skill games like hitting bullseye is additional practise in fun activities. Plus you can perform many more other fun activities there.
One of Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s great passions was his love for horses. He had more than 1200 of them and as many as 1000 were reserved for him personally. He sometimes used to say that where he felt surest of himself was in the saddle. He often took important decisions on horseback. Come ride the horses like Maharaja Ranjit Singh, in princely splendor. Expert handlers will safely give you a ride even if you are not a rider.
Gobindgarh Fort Show Timings
The Fort opening timings are 10AM-10PM daily. Below are the timings of events held in Fort:
- Sher-E-Punjab: This show goes throughout the day. For tourist’s convenience, this show runs with Punjabi & English Subtitles.
- Kandha Boldiya Ne: Daily 2 shows post Sunset with Punjabi & English subtitles.
- Pagdi & Skh Art Museum: The museums are open daily from 10:00AM – 8:00PM
- Toshakhana: Toshakhana remains open every Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00AM – 5:00PM
- War Museum: Every Tuesday to Sunday from 10AM – 5PM
P.S. Toshakhana & War Museum will be closed on Monday & Govt. Holidays.
Gobindgarh Fort Ticket Price
You can enjoy all above mentioned activities & events on very nominal rates. All we assure you is that your money spent on tickets will be worth. You will definitely enjoy spending time here. Below mentioned are the packages with details to make you fair decision about which package to go for:
Ticket Price: Rs.320 per head
- Entry Ticket – Get entry to the fort and three museums -Toshakhana, Pagdi Museum, and Warfare Museum. You can also enjoy the Punjabi cultural activities – Bhangra, Gidda & Gatka that will keep you entertained all day.
- Sher-E-Punjab – A Hi-tech 7D show based on Maharaja Ranjit Singh life story in a never seen format. The show will leave you enchanted and takes you into that time with its special effects. Internationally renowned film director, Mr. Ketan Mehta, has directed this show.
- Whispering Walls – It is a Multi-Media sound and light show, with laser lights, computer animation and Projection mapping technologies, immerse yourself in the legend of Gobindgarh Fort where the seemingly mute walls of Colonial Bungalow, have a story to tell of the sweep of history.
Ticket Price: Rs.180 per head (Valid till 4PM)
- Entry Ticket
Ticket Price: Rs.180 per head (Valid till 5PM)
- Entry Ticket
- Whispering Walls
Express Super Pass
Ticket Price: Rs.649 per head
- Entry Ticket
- Whispering Walls
- Rides for Kids – There are lots of rides that you can enjoy at the fort. You can enjoy Horse ride/Camel ride/Tandem Ride, Segway/Virtual World/2 Traditional Rides, Skill game.
- Food – Tantalize your palate with the best Punjabi food from Ambarsari Zaika and best street food from Zaika Gali.
Express Mini Pass
Ticket Price: Rs.495 per head
- Entry Ticket
Ticket Price: Rs.150 per head
- Entry Ticket
Gobindgarh Fort Helpline number
We tried to give the best possible information on this page. If you still have any query, Please contact Gobindgarh Fort helpline number at 0183-5217666 or +91-8289021218